These juicy roasted chicken thighs with a sundried tomato pesto sauce and packed full of flavor and oh so easy to make.
I discovered sun dried tomatoes many, many years ago and have been in love ever since. I created this recipe for chicken with sun dried tomato pesto sauce with that love in mind. The mixture of sun dried tomatoes, garlic and cream add a intense flavor and richness to this dish.
Ripened in the sun, sun dried tomatoes are packed full of flavor, and are wonderful added to pizza, salads, and pasta. Due to their intense flavor, a little bit goes a long way. I admit I have not taken the time to make them myself yet (look for a how-to in the future). However, if you are interested in making your own, check out this post on Food.
To make the pesto, blend the sun dried tomatoes, salt, pepper, 3 garlic cloves and olive oil in a food processor or blender and set aside.
Heat the bacon grease in a skillet over medium-high heat and brown the chicken thighs (about 4-5 minutes per side). Butter can be substituted for the bacon grease, but I feel the bacon grease adds a smoky component to the dish that I love. I like a nice crispy skin so it doesn’t get too soggy in the sauce.
Remove chicken and set aside. Add the pesto and garlic cloves and cook for about 1-2 minutes. If you like more garlic, add as many cloves as you like. My opinion? There is no such thing as too much garlic.
Add the broth and bring to a boil. The add the cream and bring back up to a simmer.
Add chicken, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover and cook for another 10 minutes, or until sauce has reduced to desired thickness.
Sprinkle with some fresh grated parmesan cheese and voila! Great served with pasta and bread, but can also be served over rice (that sauce is great on anything!).
Did you make this recipe? Leave me a comment and let me know how it turned out!
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp. bacon grease
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 cup shredded parmesan
- 10 cloves roasted garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan
- 3-4 tbsp. sun dried tomatoes
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 3 cloves roasted garlic
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Blend the sun dried tomatoes, salt, pepper, 3 garlic cloves and olive oil in a food processor or blender. Set aside.
- Heat bacon grease in a skillet over medium heat and brown the chicken thighs (about 4-5 minutes per side). Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add the pesto and garlic cloves and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Add cream and bring back to a simmer.
Add chicken, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Uncover add the thyme, and cook for another 10 minutes, or until sauce has reduced to desired thickness.
- Serve with pasta, bread and/or rice. Also great served alone!
How do you feel about sundried tomatoes? What is your favorite way to eat them?