If you’re looking for a new and different vegetable side, try this delicious Chinese Stir Fried Bok Choy with Oyster Sauce
This post contains affiliate links
I am always pondering new ideas for vegetable sides. When I’m trying to come up with a new idea, I have to remember back to all the places I’ve eaten where I have loved the veggies! Many, many years ago, I used to go to this Chinese buffet.
Please don’t judge me. I didn’t know. I had no clue that there was so many more options out there! However, it did introduce me to some dishes that I likely never would have ordered from a menu.
Like stir fried bok choy. And have you guys ever tried oyster sauce? It’ pretty damn tasty. I think it’s the perfect compliment for a range of stir fried vegetable dishes. Or meats. Or dipping sauces. It’s that yummy.
Oyster sauce is exactly what it says it is – it is made from oyster extracts. These extracts (traditionally made from boiling oysters) are then mixed with sugar, salt, water and cornstarch to thicken it. It has this absolutely delicious umami flavor. I love cooking with this Kikkoman Sauce Oyster Green. (affiliate link)
Related Recipe: Curried Zucchini
All that said, this Chinese stir fried bok choy with oyster sauce is super easy to make. We start by cutting the bok choy in quarters, lengthwise. Make sure it’s clean – dirt can hide in the crevices. I recommend letting it soak in cold water for about 10 minutes to loosen any dirt.
We then want to blanch the bok choy in boiling water for about 1 minute. Be careful not to overcook it here else you will have a wilted mushy vegetable! Drain the bok choy and set aside.
Related Recipe: Szechuan Style Green Beans
Heat the Spectrum Refined Organic Coconut Oil — 14 fl oz ( Pack of 2) in a skillet over medium high heat and add the garlic. Cook for about 30 seconds. Add the bok choy and cook for another minute.
Then add all remaining ingredients, stir and cook for one minute.
Remove from heat and serve. The bok choy should still have a slight crunch to it. Done! There, that was super easy right?
Did you try this recipe? rate it and leave a comment to let me know how it turned out!
This stir fried bok choy with oyster sauce is super easy to make and packed full of umami flavor!
- 1 lbs. baby bok choy cleaned
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. oyster sauce Kikkoman Sauce Oyster Green
- 1/4 tsp. sesame oil Ottogi Premium Roasted Sesame Oil, 10.82 Ounces
- pinch white pepper Simply Organic Pepper, White, 2.86 Ounce
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp. sherry
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil Spectrum Refined Organic Coconut Oil -- 14 fl oz ( Pack of 2)
- Clean the bok choy thoroughly.
- Cut the bok choy in quarters, lengthwise.
- Blanch in boiling water for about 1 minute. Be careful not to overcook.
- Heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium high heat and add the garlic.
- Cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the bok choy and cook for another minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients, stir and cook for one minute.
- Remove from heat and serve
Looking for some other great vegetable sides? Check these out!