This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CollectiveBias #thebestfreshness
Crispy and savory, with just a hint of sweet, this Corn Fritter Recipe is a total crowd pleaser! Served with a spicy Harissa Yogurt sauce, these corn cakes are just divine!
Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, these Corn Fritters are packed full of flavor and are just absolute perfection with the Harissa Yogurt Sauce.
I mean seriously guys, this Harissa Yogurt sauce is so damn good. Just the right amount of tang from the yogurt, heat from the harissa, sweetness from the honey and freshness from the lemon...it's almost good enough to just eat with a spoon. Not kidding.
And the corn fritters...made with juicy sweet corn, a touch of fresh cilantro, a spicy pepper and of course some garlic, these corn cakes are SO ADDICTIVE.
This corn fritter recipe is perfect for parties too.
Why This Recipe Works
- Birds Eye® Steamfresh Super Sweet Corn is used, making this an incredibly quick and easy recipe to make;
- The corn fritters are pan fried in olive oil until they are crisp;
- The heat from the harissa paste in the sauce is complimented by the coolness of the yogurt and freshness of the lemons (learn how to make your own Preserved Lemons!).
Obviously corn is the main ingredient here, but we also used the following ingredients to make these beauties happen:
- Birds Eye® Steamfresh Super Sweet Corn
- baking powder
- salt and pepper
- lemon juice
- preserved lemons
- Greek yogurt
- harissa paste
I used Birds Eye® Steamfresh Super Sweet Corn to make these corn fritters. Birds Eye® Steamfresh Super Sweet Corn is picked at the peak of freshness, and incredibly easy to prepare right in the microwave. The corn does not contain any artificial preservatives, flavors or colors - it just contains that perfect fresh flavor!
Because it only takes mere minutes to cook right in the bag, it is incredibly easy to use in a variety of recipes, including these crispy Corn Fritters. Use Birds Eye® Steamfresh Super Sweet Corn in these other corn recipes:
And to get even more veggies on the table this holiday season (or really whenever), try these Birds Eye® Steamfresh Green Beans. Also with no artificial ingredients, the green beans are kosher certified and cook up just as quick as the corn. Right in the bag. Right in the microwave. Talk about convenience! Try using these green beans in any of these incredible recipes:
For more Birds Eye® inspiration visit Food You Love!
What is Harissa Paste?
Harissa is a spicy chili paste originating from Northern Africa. It contains several types of roasted chilies, and spices such as caraway, coriander and cumin. It can be very spicy, so be sure to taste it before using it heavily. This recipe uses a small amount, which can be adjusted depending on spice preference.
Step By Step Instructions
Follow the instructions on the corn for cooking in the microwave.
Pour the corn into a medium sized bowl.
Combine all the ingredients for the corn fritters (except the olive oil) in a bowl and mix to combine.
Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spoon 2-3 tablespoon of the corn mixture in the skillet to make patties. Use a spatula to lightly flatten them.
Cook for 3-5 minutes per side, until golden brown.
Flip and continue cooking for another 3-5 minutes, until golden brown on both sides. Remove from heat and serve with the harissa yogurt sauce.
How to Make Harissa Yogurt Sauce
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Increase or decrease the amount of harissa paste in the yogurt depending on your spice preference.
- Make sure the oil is hot before adding the corn batter so they get crisp on the outside.
- Keep cooked corn fritters in a 200 degree oven to keep them crisp and warm while remaining fritters are cooked (only required if you're making a double batch and can't fit them all in one skillet).
- Substitute lemon 1 teaspoon of lemon zest for the preserved lemons if you don't have preserved lemons. Learn How to Make Preserved Lemons.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are corn fritters and hush puppies the same? Corn fritters are typically made with whole corn kernels and pan fried, while hush puppies are usually made with corn meal and deep fried. Check out this Hushpuppy Recipe if you're interested!
- What are corn fritters made of? Typically made with whole corn kernels and perhaps chilies, onions, herbs all in a light batter pan fried in oil or butter.
- Why are my corn fritters soggy? If you fried your corn fritters on low heat, it can cause them to not crisp up and be soggy. Also, corn fritters left at room temperature for too long can get soggy. If making multiple batches, keep cooked corn fritters in a 200 degree oven until you're ready to serve them.
More Favorite Appetizer Recipes
- Crispy Stuffing Balls;
- Beef Empanadas;
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus;
- Cured Salmon;
- Browse all the Appetizer Recipes!
Did you make this corn fritter recipe? Rate the recipe and leave a comment to let me know how it turned out!
Corn Fritters with Harissa Yogurt SaucePrint
- Combine all the ingredients for the corn fritters (except the olive oil) in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spoon 2-3 tablespoon. of the corn mixture in the skillet to make patties. Use a spatula to lightly flatten them.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Flip and continue cooking for another 3-5 minutes, until golden brown on both sides. Remove from heat and serve with the harissa yogurt sauce.
Harissa Yogurt Sauce
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine.