This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Tender, juicy chunks of marinated chicken thighs, red peppers, zucchini and fresh mushrooms…this is the perfect recipe to get that grilling season going!
This mustard soy marinade is hands down the best marinade recipe I know. My parents, my sister and I used to visit my grandparents a couple times a year, and they always made this recipe.
My grandma passed the recipe down to my mom, and she passed it down to me. This has been one of my favorite meals since I was a child. I only cook a couple times a week, as I do meal prep for a majority of my meals (tune in for a post on this), so Friday night dinner has become an event for the boyfriend and I.
We both look forward to getting home after a long week and chatting, watching travel or cooking shows, and making dinner. Well I make dinner, he cleans up; its a sweet deal.
Let’s Make the Marinade
This mustard soy marinade is incredibly versatile and can be used on many different meats and vegetables. Tonight, we make shish kabob.
Mix the marinade ingredients together, add the meats and veggies and mix well. Put in the fridge for about 18-24 hours for the best results.
Once done marinating, put the meat and veggies on 10″ bamboo skewers. (Link provided – I earn a small commission if purchase made using this link. Commission enables me to keep this site up and running so I can continue providing great recipes!)
Heat your grill to about 400 degrees and cook the shish kabob for about 3 1/2 minutes on each side.
Serve with rice and extra mustard soy marinade on the side. My other favorite way to use this marinade is on flank steak or skirt steak.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know what you think 🙂
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced (any color pepper would work here)
- 2 packages of button mushrooms
- 1 onion quartered
- 10 " Bamboo skewers Good Cook Pro 10 inch Bamboo Skewers, 100 ct
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces. Chop all veggies into bite size pieces.
- Place chicken and vegetables in the bowl with the marinade and mix well.
- Marinade in the fridge overnight (18-24 hours for best results).
- Use 10" bamboo skewers to make shish kabobs. Reserve excess marinade.
- Heat the grill to 400 degrees. Cook shish kabobs on the grill for about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Serve with rice and reserved marinade on the side (be sure to microwave the marinade to kill any bacteria from the raw chicken).