This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Learn How to Make Your Own Southwest Egg Rolls!
I used to love the Southwest Egg Rolls they served at Chili’s. There I said it…now it’s out there. Now I haven’t been to a Chili’s in over 10 years, but I still remember those Southwest Egg Rolls. I don’t claim that this recipe as a copycat, it most definitely is not. However, it was certainly inspired by those Chili’s egg rolls.
Related Recipe: Creamy Bacon Chipotle Avocado Sauce
Don’t be intimidated by these Southwest Egg Rolls. They are actually quite easy to make, as the egg roll wrappers are great to work with…very forgiving. And I sure do need that forgiveness when I cook. To save time, the egg roll filling can be made in advance. And if there is one thing I love (ok there are a million things I love) it is saving time.
If you would like, you can even make the entire batch of egg rolls the day before. They will keep in the fridge just fine for an even BIGGER time saver! Just roll them up per the instructions below, then place them in a covered container overnight, until your ready to bake.
Or you can freeze them. If you go this route, wrap each egg roll individually in foil to avoid them freezing into one big chunk. Add an additional 5-10 minutes to the cook time.
So why don’t we get to the actual recipe now. Finally.
Heat the bacon grease in a skillet over medium-high heat and add the diced chicken, browning it on all sides.
Add the onion and jalapeno and cook until soft.
Then add the remaining ingredients, except the brown rice and queso fresco, and cook until all the moisture has evaporated. Remove from heat and add the brown rice and queso fresco.
*If you are making this filling ahead of time, wait to add the queso fresco until you are ready to make the egg rolls.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place 2 tbsp. of the mixture on an egg roll wrapper and wrap (see step by step instructions below).
Dampen the top corner with water and finish wrapping. The water will help the wrapper stick together so it won’t come unrolled. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown. If you want a crisper egg roll, brush the wrappers with melted lard or butter. Serve them with creamy bacon chipotle avocado sauce or homemade tomato salsa.
If you’re feeling really adventurous, maybe even dip them in this BBQ sauce. However, they are quite tasty all on their own.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know what you think!
- Egg roll or spring roll wrappers
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes
- small can diced green chilies
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground cumin
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tbsp. bacon grease
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup queso fresco
- Heat the bacon grease in a skillet over medium-high heat and add the diced chicken.
- Brown the chicken on all sides.
- Add the onion and jalapeno and cook until soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the brown rice and queso fresco, and cook until moisture has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and add the brown rice and queso fresco.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place 2 tbsp. mixture on an egg roll wrapper and wrap (see pictures above).
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown.
Check out these other great Southwest Recipes: