This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
A super simple side dish, this cheesy roasted cauliflower is slathered in mustard and mayonnaise, covered in cheese, then baked until hot and bubbly.
This recipe for cheesy roasted cauliflower is an adaptation of one of those good old classics from mom. It was one of those vegetable side dishes that actually got me excited to eat my veggies.
When mom made it, she boiled the whole head of cauliflower first, then baked it with the cheese, mayo and mustard. I like to cut the raw cauliflower in pieces first, then put it straight in the oven so it keeps a little bit of crunch.
My Preferred Ingredients
I prefer to use real mayonnaise as I don’t like Miracle Whip (there is just something about the flavor). Substitute Miracle Whip for the mayonnaise if you prefer. Any kind of cauliflower can be used; white, orange, purple, etc. I used orange (cheddar), but have made this recipe with both the white and purple kinds as well. If you are entertaining, the purple can add a fun pop of color.
I use sharp cheddar cheese for this recipe as I feel it has the most intense flavor and blends well with the mustard and mayonnaise. Substitute any kind of cheese if you would like to change the flavor a bit, but I recommend sticking with cheddar.
And the mustard. I use Dijon mustard because it has the best flavor to add a kick to the cauliflower (which tends to be bland). Feel free to substitute any kind of mustard, however, I believe the Dijon provides the best flavor.
If you have kids (or anyone) that does not like vegetables, give this cheesy roasted cauliflower a try, they may just change their minds!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drizzle olive oil in the bottom of a baking dish and place cauliflower pieces in the dish. Mix mustard and mayonnaise together in a bowl and spread on top of the cauliflower.
Sprinkle cheese on top and drizzle about 1 tbsp. of olive oil over the cheese. Bake for 40-45 minutes until cheese is melted and lightly browned. The browned crispy pieces of cheese are my favorite parts of this dish.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment and let me know what you think!
The Easiest Cheesy Cauliflower Bake
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the cauliflower in a rectangular baking dish (about 9x13 or 8x11).
- Mix the mustard and mayonnaise together in a bowl and spread on top of the cauliflower. Use your hands to mix it together well.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and drizzle about 1 tbsp. of olive oil over the cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 50-60 minutes until cheese is melted and lightly browned, and cauliflower can be pierced with a fork. You can remove the cover during the last 10-15 minutes to help the cheese brown.
- If the cheese isn't browned enough, pop it under the broiler for a minute or two to crisp it up;
- I don't recommend using grainy Dijon mustard as the texture is not great in the cauliflower bake;
- Remove the cover during the last 10-15 minutes of baking to brown the cheese.