This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
These Chinese style hash browns are packed full of umami flavor and kicked up with some sichuan peppercorns to give some heat for your breakfast!
This recipe was adapted from a recipe developed by the Woks of Life for Crispy “Sichuan” Potato Cakes and Eggs. Click here for the original recipe. When I first read this recipe, I thought “I must try this immediately.” And I did, the very next weekend.
The hash browns have such a wonderful flavor, with a little of that numbing spice from the Szechuan peppercorns, and umami flavor from the soy sauce. And who doesn’t love a beautiful sunny side up egg?
I use dried hash browns in this recipe, similar to the hash browns I used to make these egg tarts. These dried hash browns are my go to any time I want to make a potato based breakfast dish. They are just so easy to use, I can’t recommend them enough (no I am not being paid to say this, although maybe I should be??)
I absolutely love the flavors in these Chinese style hash browns. It really gives the potatoes and extra boost of flavor. Or I guess any flavor, they are just potatoes after all. Kidding aside, these things are seriously delicious. I’m not sure I ever want to go back to regular hash browns.
Mix the potatoes, 1 egg, scallions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper in a bowl.
Heat coconut oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the Szechuan peppercorns and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until fragrant, being careful not to let them burn. Remove the peppercorns with a slotted spoon. Add the potato mixture and cook until crisp on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
Remove from heat and plate. In the meantime, cook the eggs, sunny side up, in a nonstick skillet with coconut oil or butter. I find it best to cook your eggs on medium-high heat to get them crisp around the edges.
Place eggs on top of Chinese style hash browns and serve. Garnish with chives if desired.
Did you make this recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know how it turned out!
Chinese Style Hash Browns and Eggs
- 2 cups shredded potatoes Hungry Jack Premium Hashbrown Potatoes 4.2 oz (Pack of 2)
- 1 tsp. Szechuan peppercorns Spicely Organic Peppercorn Sichuan - Compact
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1/2 tsp. light soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp. rice wine vinegar
- 5 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- Mix the potatoes, 1 egg, scallions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Heat coconut oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the Szechuan peppercorns and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until fragrant. Remove the peppercorns with a slotted spoon and discard.
- Add the potato mixture and cook until crisp on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from heat and plate.
- While hash browns are cooking, fry eggs, sunny side up, in a nonstick skillet with coconut oil or butter. Place eggs on top of hash browns and serve.