This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
This Avocado Toast Recipe is super simple to make for a quick and easy breakfast, taking only 10 minutes to whip together. Plus, the flavors are incredible with the layer of goat cheese and that deliciously yolky fried egg.
This post was originally published in September 2017. It has been updated for photos and content.
This Avocado Toast Recipe is better than any restaurant version I've ever had. And it's not a $15 entree. I mean seriously, $15 for smashed avocado on toasted bread?
This costs WAY less than $15, is super easy to make and tastes INCREDIBLE. Plus, it uses all fresh, healthy ingredients, which is great for breakfast so you don't feel weighted down the rest of the day.
Try other great brunch ideas like this simple Croque Madame, or this awesome Thai Fried Chicken and Waffles.
Why This Recipe Works
The thick, toasted bread holds up under the weight of the goat cheese, avocado and egg.
The goat cheese adds the perfect amount of tanginess to the avocado.
Mashing the avocado makes it easier to spread on the bread.
A runny egg yolk is just....life. What else can I say?
A sprinkle of coarse sea salt over the avocado really brings it to life.
Super quick and easy for a healthy weekday breakfast, or a fun weekend brunch.
What Is the Best Bread For Avocado Toast?
We want to use nice thick cut pieces of bread. I would say about an inch. I recommend using a sourdough or a crusty French bread for the best results.
Toast the bread so it is crisp on the outside, but still somewhat soft in the middle. It need to holds up to the weight of the avocado, goat cheese and egg, but you don't want to be eating a crouton either!
Step By Step Instructions
First, remove the avocado flesh and place in a bowl. Use a fork to mash it so it's easy to spread on the bread.
Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat and add the eggs. sprinkle with salt and pepper to season.
My recommendation is to use sunny side up eggs, but you can cook them however you'd like. We also love sous vide scrambled eggs on top!
While the eggs are cooking, spread a thick layer of goat cheese on each piece of bread. See below photo.
Spread the mashed avocado over top of the goat cheese and sprinkle it with coarse sea salt.
Top with your beautiful fried egg, pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy.
Mash the avocado in a bowl so it is easier to spread on the bread.
Let the goat cheese come to room temperature so it is easier to spread.
Sprinkle the avocado with additional coarse sea salt to taste.
A sunny side up egg is used for this recipe, but you can prepare the eggs to your liking.
What Do You Eat With Avocado Toast?
Some other options to add to your avocado toast include:
- Bacon - all the yes' here. Crumble it up and sprinkle it right on top of the avocado before you add the egg.
- Cured Salmon - The salt from the salmon goes perfectly with the creamy avocado. Learn how to make Cured Salmon right at home.
- Sliced tomatoes - With just a touch of coarse sea salt and fresh ground pepper on top...so much goodness.
- Homemade salsa - Add some jalapenos and Mexican cheese for ultra deliciousness. Learn how to make Homemade Tomato Salsa.
Is Avocado Toast a Healthy Breakfast?
In general, avocado toast is good for you. Now if you make the bacon option above, obviously the benefits will be reduced because let's be real...bacon is not good for you. No matter how much we want it to be.
How Do You Keep Avocados From Turning?
Squeezing a small amount of lemon or lime juice over the avocado will help to keep it from turning brown. However, this will only work for about 1 day.
How Do You Know When an Avocado Has Gone Bad?
Typically, when you can leave an indentation in the skin, the avocado has turned.
Rate the recipe and leave a comment to let me know how it turned out!
Goat Cheese and Avocado Toast Recipe
- 1 ripe avocado smashed
- 2 pieces thick cut bread
- 4 oz. Goat cheese
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp. Coarse sea salt
- Salt & pepper (to taste for eggs)
- Remove the avocado flesh and place in a bowl. Use a fork to mash it so it's easy to spread on the bread.
- Toast the bread so it is crisp on the outside, but still somewhat soft in the middle. It should be toasted enough that the goat cheese and avocado can be easily spread.
- Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat and add the eggs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (to taste) while frying.
- While the eggs are cooking, spread a thick layer of goat cheese on each piece of bread (see photos above in post).
- Spread the avocado over top of the goat cheese. Sprinkle with the coarse sea salt to taste, and top with the fried egg (sunny side up).
- The bread should be toasted enough that the surface is firm to the touch. The goat cheese and avocado should be easily spread with crushing the bread.
- Let the goat cheese come to room temperature to make it easier to spread.
- Sprinkle the avocado with additional coarse sea salt to taste.
- The goat cheese should be thick enough to cover the bread (bread should not be showing through).
- A sunny side up egg is used for this recipe, but you can prepare the eggs to your liking.
I know what I'm having for breakfast this week! I have a bunch of avocados that are threatening to go past their edible stage and I was desperate for a recipe with avocados that went beyond guacamole. Thanks for posting this recipe!
This is a perfect way to use them!
This breakfast is a regular at my home, not just it's simple and hearty but it's simply the best combination to put on the toast - eggs and avocado. So good!
I totally agree!!
Love it! I make something similar quite often but never tried with goat cheese. I think it will be a great combination with eggs and avocado, so will try it next time)
The goat cheese is soooo awesome!!!
I am weekly eating avocado toast as my breakfast , and after reading this I'm gonna start changing it up ! 🙂 So wonderfully simple and tasty !
Hope you love it Analida!
You can sign me up for not paying $15 for avocado and bread any day of the week! HA! However, this breakfast looks totally worthy 😉 Thanks for the recipe!
Right? I can't believe they charge so much. Plus this is super easy and you don't even have to get dressed!
Avocado toast is one of my go-to breakfast options. So easy and tasty.....I'm actually going to go make some right now! 🙂
It's such a great breakfast option!