This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
These crispy garlic potato fans are so deliciously crispy and garlicky, plus they are super easy to make! Made with duck fat, these potatoes have the most awesome flavor!
This post contains affiliate links.
These crispy garlic potato fans are deliciously crisp and chewy, with those amazing little caramelized garlic pieces. Simple, with only a few ingredients, but amazingly delicious, the secret ingredient to these potatoes is, surprise, surprise, duck fat.
If you’ve read some of my other recipes, you know that I have been having a love affair with duck fat (shhhh…don’t tell my boyfriend). You can replace this with a fat of your choice, but I highly recommend the duck fat. It helps the potatoes crisp and adds umami flavor.
I buy the duck fat at my local Sprouts, but if you are unable to find it, you can get it on Amazon by clicking the link below:
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees. Slice potatoes into fans 1/8″ to 1/4″ thick, leaving about 1/2″ at the bottom so the potatoes “fan” out. The thinner you slice the potatoes, the faster they will crisp.
Related Recipe: The Perfect Buttery Curried Potatoes
Heat the duck fat, garlic and salt in a microwaveable dish until melted and drizzle on potatoes to coat all the slices. Feel free to adjust the amount of garlic and salt to your liking.
I tend to under-salt now. Many a dish has been ruined by my heavy handed salting in the past. You can always add more, but never can you take away…. Trust me.
Related Recipe: Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Bake for 45 minutes to one hour, depending on desired crispness. The cook time will also depend on how thinly you made your potato fans. Add additional time if you cut your fans thicker. And vice versa.
Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Personally, I like to pull these potatoes apart with my fingers and eat them straight with my hands. But you can use a fork if you really want to….enjoy!
Now as we roll into the holidays, we all start to look for holiday recipes (at least I do). And I don’t know about you, but the holidays for me are EXTREMELY busy. I don’t always have time to spend hours in the kitchen making those potluck meals for company parties, cooking goodies for friends or making all those holiday dinner side dishes!
So I created this FREE cookbook of my favorite easy to make holiday recipes. What’s great about these recipes (I mean besides being free) is that they are great used all year round.
So what are you waiting for? Grab your FREE cookbook now!
Related Recipe: Perfectly Crispy Duck Fat Smashed Potatoes
Did you make this recipe? Drop me a comment below and let me know how it turned out.
Hasselback Potato Recipe
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice potatoes into fans, about 1/4" to 1/8" thick.
- Heat duck fat, garlic and salt until melted in a sauce and drizzle on potatoes, ensuring it gets in between the slices.
- Bake for 60 minutes until edges are crispy but inside is tender. Test doneness with a fork or knife.
- Take the potatoes out every 20 minutes and spoon the fat from the pan back onto the potatoes;
- You may need to add additional bake time to the potatoes if they are larger - test doneness with a knife entered in the bottom of the potatoes. If it pierces the potato easily, they are done.
- Add more or less garlic to your liking;
- If you want a little spice, add a teaspoon of crushed red pepper to the duck fat mixture;
- Substitute any high smoke point fat for the duck fat if desired. However, I find this recipe is best with duck fat personally. Don't use butter as it will likely burn in the oven.
So, what do you think about the duck fat? How awesome is it? How did you like these crispy garlic potato fans?