This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
These duck fat smashed potatoes are perfectly crispy and packed full of flavor!
This post contains affiliate links
Duck fat is one of my favorite fats to use when cooking savory dishes. It is silky smooth, provides a touch of umami to dishes, and is a wonderful aid in browning and/or crisping up meats and potatoes. Duck fat has a high smoking point, making it perfect for frying. It also keeps for a long time in the freezer and is reusable. However, it is very high in saturated fat. But everything in moderation, right?
I was inspired to make smashed potatoes by a post I read on Damn Delicious a while back. An adaption of that recipe, these duck fat smashed potatoes come out perfectly crispy on the outside and slightly chewy on the inside. I chose to use red potatoes, but small white potatoes, purple potatoes, fingerling potatoes or any other type of small potato will work just fine.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil the potatoes in salted water for 12-15 minutes until tender and drain. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and place potatoes on the paper in even intervals.
Gently smash the potatoes with a fork, being careful not to break them apart.
Put 4 tbsp. Duck Fat, Cage-Free, All Natural, 8.2 Oz (1 Jar) in a dish to brush on the potatoes.
Brush each smashed potato with a generous amount of duck fat and lightly sprinkle with the garlic powder and salt.
Bake the potatoes in the oven for 30-40 minutes until crisp on the outside.
What do you think about the use of duck fat in these duck fat smashed potatoes? Have you made smashed potatoes before? If so, what kind of fat did you use for crisping?
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know what you think.
Duck Fat Smashed Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 12 minutes and drain.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and place potatoes on the paper in even intervals.
- Gently smash the potatoes with a fork, being careful not to break them apart.
- Place the duck fat in a dish and add the garlic powder and salt. heat the duck fat in the microwave until melted; 10-20 seconds.
- Brush each smashed potato with a generous amount of duck fat mixture.
- Bake the potatoes in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until crisp on the outside.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small commission. This commission helps me continue to bring you great content and make improvements to elevate the user experience.