This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Juicy, ripe strawberries, made from scratch shortcake and homemade whipped cream make this homemade strawberry shortcake one of the best summer treats ever!
Strawberry season is the best. No kidding.
I LOVE fresh strawberries. When they’re big, red, juicy and so sweet…how can you not make homemade strawberry shortcake?
Every year I get that feeling. You know it. That MUST. MAKE. STRAWBERRY. SHORTCAKE feeling.
You know you have it too. No sense in denying.
**If it’s strawberry season, you’re going to want to try this super easy to make rustic Strawberry Almond Galette with almonds and honey too**
Now while the strawberries are awesome, the best part of this homemade strawberry shortcake recipe is the homemade shortcake.
Gone are the days of cheap packaged angel food cake covered in cool whip and strawberries.
This homemade shortcake is SUPER easy to make, and you’ll fall in love with it. Sprinkled with coarse crystals of granulated sugar, and baked until golden brown, this shortcake is the **** guys.
And while the shortcake is baking (it takes less than 30 minutes guys), we’re going to whip us up some fresh whipped cream.
Of course, you can use cool whip.
But guys, if you love yourself, you’ll make this fresh whipped cream. The difference is phenomenal. And it’s not hard. It’ll be done before your shortcake is out of the oven!
How to Make Homemade Strawberry Shortcake
First, lets macerate those strawberries. Combine the sugar and sliced strawberries in a bowl. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes. The sugar helps draw the juices out of the strawberries, perfect to drizzle over the shortcake biscuits.
Heat the oven to 400 degrees and combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl, add the vanilla to the cream and stir. Then add the vanilla and cream mixture to the dry ingredients to create a dough-like mixture.
**SEE STEP BY STEP PHOTOS BELOW**
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Chill the dough for 20 minutes in the fridge. This makes it easier to form them into biscuits. Use a 1/4 measuring cup to drop the dough into balls on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the dough with coarse granulated sugar crystals.
Bake the shortcake biscuits for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
And now for the whipped cream….mmmm that light, fluffy, sweetened goodness. Whip the cream until frothy, then add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until peaks begin to form. Add the vanilla and lemon zest and continue whipping until soft peaks form. Be careful not to over whip or it will become watery.
Place a shortcake biscuit on a plate, spoon some strawberries on, and top it off with a dollop or two of whipped cream. Or three or four dollops – it’s totally up to you. My opinion? Cover the whole damn with whipped cream.
Love this homemade strawberry shortcake? Want some more dessert ideas? Check out these great recipes:
How to Make Almond Meringues
The Best Homemade Lemon Curd
Meyer Lemon Souffle with Raspberry Sauce
Sweet Korean Pancakes
Candied Lemon Slices
Banana Nutella Puff Pastries
Mini Vietnamese Sponge Cakes
Fluffy Japanese Cheesecake
Did you make this recipe? Rate it and leave a comment below to let me know what you think!
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Add vanilla to the cream and mix in a separate bowl.
- Add cream mixture to dry ingredients and mix into a dough.
- Chill dough for 20 minutes in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Use 1/4 cup measuring cup to measure out dough for biscuits. Places biscuits on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, about 2" apart.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar crystals and bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Mix sugar and sliced strawberries in a bowl and let sit for 30-60 minutes.
- Whip the whipping cream until frothy.
- Add sugar, one tbsp. at a time, until peaks begin to form.
- Add vanilla and lemon zest and whip until soft peaks form. Be careful not to over whip or it will become watery.
- Let the dough chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to make it easier to work with. It also results in a fluffier, more buttery biscuit.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring scoop to form the dough in balls. It will be sticky.
- Add more or less sugar to the strawberries depending on preference.
- Be careful not to over-whip the whipped cream. Once soft peaks form, it is ready.