This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
This Strawberry Almond Galette is made with honey, coconut sugar, a touch of fresh lemon juice for added tartness, all wrapped up in an un-baked pie crust. Taking only about 5 minutes to put together, this strawberry dessert is incredibly easy to make and a huge crowd pleaser!
I only recently discovered galettes.
As you guys know, I shy away from complex desserts and most certainly haven’t dove into making my own pie crust yet.
This strawberry almond galette is made with store bought pie crust.
And it’s “rustic.”
In my research on galettes, I noticed that many people described them as rustic due to the slightly less-than-perfect appearance.
I love it.
I wish I could call all my recipes “rustic.”
Anyways, the simple ingredients and lack of required perfection make this strawberry almond galette SUPER easy to make.
what ingredients do i need?
Strawberries guys. Obviously. It’s strawberry season. Get you a package of fresh ones.
Like I said, I use a store bought pie crust which makes this recipe so easy. You can find pie crust in the refrigerator section of the grocery store – usually near the butter.
Then you’ve got your fresh lemon juice, coconut sugar, honey, almond extract and sliced almonds.
I always recommend using fresh lemon juice instead of the bottled. I don’t like the flavor of the bottled. Period. I never use it.
And if you guys have been following my blog lately, you’ll notice I have been obsessed with coconut sugar. I’m absolutely in love with the flavor. However, if you don’t have coconut sugar, regular granulated sugar can be substituted.
The almond extract adds a hint of almond flavor to the galette, which I love. If you don’t have almond extract, you can substitute vanilla extract, but almond extract is definitely not a bad thing to have in your pantry!
Raw sugar crystals are sprinkled on the pie crust before baking. I use Sugar In the Raw, but any coarse sugar crystals will do.
You can buy many of the ingredients below (these are Amazon affiliate links – I earn a small commission if you buy through these links):
how do we make this strawberry almond galette?
This galette is so easy to make. (See pictures below for step-by-step)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Place the sliced strawberries in a bowl with the lemon juice, almond extract, coconut sugar, and honey and mix well.
Lay your pie crust flat on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Spread a thin layer of jam in the middle of your pie crust.
The jam is a barrier to keep your crust from getting soggy with the strawberry juice. Any jam will do. It’s the pectin in the jam that helps it set.
Pour the strawberry filling in the center of the galette, making sure to leave a couple inches on all sides of the crust.
Take the edges of the crust and fold them up over the galette to form a hexagon (octagon? I’m not sure which “gon” this is – 6 sides).
Pinch the edges together. Ignore those fingernail marks in my photo. I’ve let my nails get way too long and it’s impeding my cooking ability.
Brush the crust with your egg wash and sprinkle with the raw sugar crystals.
Then top with the sliced almonds.
For an extra delicious filling, dot a couple little pieces of butter over the strawberry mixture. This will keep it moist while baking.
Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
Now you make get some leakage as it cooks, but that’s ok. I’m still working on a plot to prevent leakage….
Remove from oven and let sit for 30 minutes. If you try to slice into it too soon, it will be a mushy mess.
Serve this strawberry almond galette with fresh whipped cream, ice cream, drizzled in honey, or just on it’s own.
If you like super easy desserts, there are some other great recipes:
Did you make this strawberry almond galette? Rate the recipe and leave a comment below to let me know how it turned out!
Rustic Strawberry Galette Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Lay the pie crust on a parchment paper line baking sheet.
- Place the strawberries, lemon juice, coconut sugar, vanilla extract and honey in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Spread the lemon curd (or jam) in the center of the pie crust to keep it from getting soggy (see photos in post above).
- Place the strawberry mixture in the center of the pie crust.
- Fold the crust up over the berries about 1 inch (see pictures in post above for reference).
- Brush the crust with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar crystals.
- chop the butter in little pieces and dot it over the top of the galette on top of the strawberry mixture.
- Place in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
- Serve drizzled with honey and/or with fresh whipped cream or ice cream.
- Using the lemon curd or jam (with pectin) as a barrier between the fruit and the crust helps to prevent it from getting soggy - I don't recommend skipping this step.
- If using frozen fruit, increase the cornstarch to 2 teaspoons to help thicken it up and prevent the galette from becoming soggy.
- Try your best to not tear the crust at all, as the juices from the strawberries will leak out of those tears. If it does, it's ok, it still tastes great!