THESE HOMEMADE TWIX CANDY BARS ARE GREAT FOR BEGINNER BAKERS AND SO ABSOLUTELY ADDICTING!
Join me as I continue this journey to learn how to be a better baker and dessert maker. My goal? One new recipe a week. Note I do not post a new dessert recipe each week. They don’t always work out. I have literally been making these Nutella hazelnut cookies for months now, and just can’t seem to get the recipe right.
Anyways, I thought shortbread would be a nice easy thing to bake. But can I leave it at that? No, of course not.
We ended up with these homemade Twix candy bars. If regular shortbread is good, shortbread with chocolate, caramel and pretzels must be better, right? Now I know a regular Twix bar does not have pretzels, but come on, who doesn’t want a touch of salty goodness with their candy?
Making these homemade Twix candy bars is quite ridiculously easy. However, while super simple, there is a lot of down time in between cooling off periods. So if you think you’re going to make it and eat it within the hour, think again. But it’s all worth it.
These things came out so delicious. I had to bring the leftovers to work with me so I wouldn’t eat them all. They were taunting me, they had to be removed from the house!
We start out by making the shortbread. Man do I love shortbread. You know the best thing about baking is licking the spoon. And the bowl. And taste testing. Yeah that’s important too. I try to do all my baking when the boyfriend is gone so I don’t have to share. Or I sneak around the corner and lick the spoon where he can’t see me. That’s normal right?
Related Recipe: Chocolate Caramel Pie
Back to the shortbread, we can discuss my spoon licking secrets later. First, preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor. Add the butter, one piece at a time and pulse to combine butter with dry ingredients until a dough forms. Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly. There, you’ve got your shortbread dough. I mean that was super easy right?
Take the dough and spread it over a parchment lined 8 x 13″ pan. Press the dough into a single layer over the parchment paper.
And now we add our salty component. Now if you prefer to keep this like a “traditional” Twix, you can leave the pretzels out. But I totally recommend using them, they are soooo good with the sweet!
Press each pretzel firmly into the dough leaving only a small amount of space between each.
Bake the dough for 20-30 minutes, until it just starts to brown. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. I typically put the shortbread in the fridge for an hour to let it cool completely.
Once your shortbread is cooled, we’re going to make the caramel. Again, this is super easy. Unwrap all your caramels and place in a microwave safe bowl with the 3 tbsp. of heavy cream.
Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each, until caramel is full melted. Pour on top of the shortbread. Cool completely again in the fridge. It should take about 30 minutes to an hour. Once cool to the touch, you’re ready to make the chocolate.
Make the chocolate the same way you made the caramel. Combine the chocolate chips and cream in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 second intervals, stirring in between. Once fully melted, pour on top of the caramel mixture.
Sprinkle lightly with coarse sea salt, if desired. I like my candy with just a little extra salt. Who are we kidding, I like EVERYTHING with just a little salt. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour. Now EAT your homemade Twix candy bars!
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know how it turned out!
Shortbread topped with creamy caramel and chocolate, these homemade twix candy bars are addictive.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 lbs. cold butter 2 sticks, cut into pieces
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 30 salted pretzels
- 12 oz. bag vanilla caramels unwrapped
- 3 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 1/2 tbsp. heavy cream
- Coarse sea salt optional
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor.
- Add the butter, one piece at a time and pulse to combine butter with dry ingredients until a dough forms.
- Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Take the dough and spread it over a parchment lined 8 x 13" pan, pressing it firmly down.
- Press each pretzel lightly into the dough leaving only a small amount of space between each.
- Bake the dough for 20-30 minutes, until it just starts to brown.
- Let cool completely in fridge before adding the caramel.
- Unwrap all your caramels and place in a microwave safe bowl with the cream.
- Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each, until caramel is full melted.
- Pour on top of the shortbread.
- Cool completely in the fridge before adding the chocolate.
- Combine the chocolate chips and cream in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 second intervals, stirring in between.
- Once fully melted, pour on top of the caramel mixture.
- Sprinkle lightly with coarse sea salt, if desired.
- Let cool for 30 minutes to an hour and enjoy!
Like chocolate? Check out these other awesome chocolate recipes: