This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
THIS CHOCOLATE CARAMEL PIE IS MADE WITH DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE, SALTED CARAMEL AN OREO CRUST AND IS ABSOLUTELY TO DIE FOR!
Sometimes it is just time to make something decadent, and this chocolate caramel pie was just the thing. Now mind you, I have shared many times that lemon desserts are my favorite, however, the boyfriend is a huge fan of chocolate. And I am a huge fan of the boyfriend, so here we are, making chocolate caramel pie. Mom also got the chance to try this on her visit, and I believe she ate the most of it.
Related Recipe: Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
Let’s talk about the Oreo crust. You can make a simple Oreo crust by using just crushed Oreo’s and butter (which is a perfectly delicious crust), OR you can add some crushed hazelnuts for some extra pizzaz.
Related Recipe: Homemade Twix Candy Bars
For the caramel filling, I use a package of Kraft vanilla caramels. I know, made-from-scratch caramel is better, but I haven’t gotten there yet. It seems there are just not enough hours in the day! For this recipe, all you’ve got to do here is melt the caramels down. If you want to make your own, Sally over at Sally’s Baking Addiction makes a pretty good one here.
Related Recipe: Fluffy Chocolate Pie with Oreo Crust
We use a 9″ spring form pan for this pie. If you don’t have one, a regular pie plate will do in a pinch. Make sure your spring form pan is not bent. If it is bent, the pie is hard to remove. Believe me. It took a bit of finagling to get my pie out of the pan. Another learning experience. I learned I need a new spring form pan.
First, spray your spring form pan with nonstick cooking spray. Use a food processor to finely blend Oreos, then add the melted butter, hazelnuts, and almond paste. Like I said earlier, if you want a simple Oreo crust, just omit the almond paste and hazelnuts. Blend together until a dough forms.
Press the mixture into bottom of spring form pan, going up the sides about 1 inch. Bake the crust at 350 degrees for 9 minutes. Cool in the fridge for about an hour before adding the filling.
Place caramels and 4 tbsp. of whipping cream in a bowl and heat over a saucepan until smooth. Stir in the 1/4 tsp. salt and spread in the bottom of the pie crust. It will look like there is not enough, but there is plenty.
Place chocolate chips and cream in a bowl and heat over sauce pan until smooth. Spread over the caramel mixture and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Refrigerate until set, about 2-3 hours.
To serve, let the pie sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes, and then slice to serve. Warning – this pie is RICH, a small piece will do it. For most people. Maybe not me, but most people.
Related Recipe: Peanut Butter Brownies
Did you make this recipe? Rate it and leave me a comment below to let me know what you think 🙂
This chocolate caramel pie with an oreo crust is the stuff dreams are made of. Decadent and delicious!
- 30 Oreos
- 1/4 cup crushed hazelnuts optional
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 11 oz. package of vanilla caramels Kraft Vanilla Caramels 11 oz
- 4 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Coarse sea salt for finishing
- Spray 9" spring form pan with nonstick spray.
- Use a food processor to finely blend Oreos.
Add melted butter, and hazelnuts, and blend to a dough-like consistency.
- Press crust mixture into bottom of spring form pan, going up about 1 inch.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 9 minutes.
- Cool in fridge for about an hour before adding the filling
- Place caramels and 4 tbsp. of whipping cream in a bowl and heat over a saucepan until smooth. Stir in the 1/4 tsp. salt and spread in the bottom of the pie crust.
- Place chocolate chips and cream in a bowl and heat over sauce pan until smooth.
- Spread over the caramel mixture and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Refrigerate until set, about 2-3 hours.
- Let pie sit at room temperature 5-10 minutes before serving.
Check out these other great dessert recipes: