This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
An easy way to start the day is with this super easy to make delicious breakfast sandwich made with thick fried bacon, pesto sauce and a perfectly fried egg. Oh, and don’t forget the gooey cheese, the grilled onions and the ham!
The weekend breakfast…to cook or not to cook? That is always the question. I do love to cook (duh…I run a food blog), but sometimes the weekend is JUST. SO. HARD. It’s early, I’m hungry, and I don’t want to do a lot of work.
What to do, what to do. So, I look in the fridge and see what there is. It never fails, we always seem to have some leftover bacon, ham and cheese (from weekday sandwiches) and this random jar of pesto we got from someone. Ok, the pesto isn’t ALWAYS there, but the other stuff is.
And of course we’ve always got fresh eggs and frozen bagels. So throw all this on top of a nice toasted bagel and what do you have? A bagel breakfast sandwich!
I did list some ingredients for this “recipe,” but really, use whatever you have (similar to this recipe for breakfast fried rice). However, I strongly recommend the egg…the egg is what brings the whole bagel breakfast sandwich together.
Well, and the bagel I guess. Any kind of cheese can be used – I like sharp cheddar, but as I’ve been strongly reminded, I am not always right.
And the meats, again, use what you like. But you can never go wrong with bacon, and if you’ve already got bacon, why not add some ham?
All this ranting about a simple breakfast sandwich – I know, just get on with it you say! I’m going, I’m going…but one more tidbit of opinion first. You must start with a toasted bagel – a bagel is just not a bagel unless it’s toasted, in my opinion.
However, please see paragraph above about my propensity for not being right. You be the judge. Ok, let’s go. FIRST, cook the bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels. When the bacon is done cooking, drain the grease from the pan (reserve the grease), but don’t wash it.
Then, toast the bagel until just slightly crisp on the outside, but warm and chewy on the inside. Place cheese slice on warmed bagel.
Re-heat the skillet over medium heat and add the ham slices, slightly crisping them around the edges. Then add the thinly sliced onions and brown on both sides.
Don’t overcook the onions, you want them to have a slight bite.
Place ham on bagel on top of the cheese and onions. Place bacon on top.
Spread 1 tbsp. pesto sauce on the top of each bagel. Add 1 tbsp. of the reserved bacon grease back to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Fry each egg until the edges are crisp and the white is set.
Carefully place on top of the bacon. Place top of bagel on the egg, and voila, you have the perfect bagel breakfast sandwich!
Did you make this breakfast sandwich? Drope me a comment and let me know how they turned out 🙂
Bagel Breakfast Sandwiches
- 4 slices thick bacon
- 2 slices ham
- 2 eggs
- 2 pieces cheese
- 2 bagels
- 2 tbsp. pesto sauce
- 2 slices onion
- Toast the bagel until just slightly crisp on the outside, but warm and chewy on the inside.
- Cook the bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels. Break each slice in half so it will fit on the bagel.
- Drain the bacon grease for the pan (reserve the bacon grease), but don't wash it.
- Place cheese slice on warmed bagel.
- Heat skillet over medium heat and add ham slices, slightly crisping them around the edges.
- Add the thinly sliced onions and brown on both sides.
- Place ham and onions on bagel on top of the cheese, and place bacon on top.
- Spread 1 tbsp. pesto sauce on the top side of each bagel.
- Add 1 tbsp. of the reserved bacon grease back to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Fry each egg until edges are crisp and white is set. Carefully place on top of the bacon.
- Place top of bagel on the egg, and voila, you have the perfect breakfast sandwich!